Take our comprehensive class before you launch your urban farming business.
Urban farming is exciting and sustainable, but is it also profitable? New entrepreneurs and indoor farmers can get caught up in the excitement without careful planning, leading to unexpected future costs and making it hard to build a successful farm business.
In this detailed and practical one-day class, students learn the commercial aspects of urban farming from the Agritecture Consulting team at our headquarters in Brooklyn. The class culminates with a private tour of Farm.One's newest location in lower Manhattan, where participants get an in-depth look at the inner workings of a pioneering vertical farm.
Whether you're thinking of starting a peri-urban greenhouse, or a vertical farm in the heart of a city, this class gives you the core knowledge and skills needed to plan out and profitably operate an urban farm of your choice.
Our next class runs 9am-6pm on September 29th.
We host classes monthly and welcome visitors from all over the world. If you are interested in class dates not listed here or a custom class for your team, please contact us.
- Wholesale vs retail markets for your produce
- Understanding true potential market size
- Crop choice - what will you grow, and why?
- Locating your farm, and the implications
- Learning from the industry's mistakes
MARKETING & SALES
- Identifying your target customer
- How to effectively market across different channels
- What are the most optimal distribution channels for your farm?
- Packaging, shipping, and delivery logistics
BUILDING YOUR FARM
- Urban farm case studies from around the world
- What scale makes sense?
- Should you build a vertical farm or greenhouse?
- Designing flexibly from a grower's perspective
- Designing for biosecurity and hygiene protocols
- Designing your farm layout for labor optimization
- Properly segment your labor force
- Strategies for hiring labor - highly trained vs. low skilled
- Creating quality and process control
- How do hiring practices change as you scale your business?
FINANCIAL MODEL &
- Effective financial models for urban farming
- Understanding revenue, and the true yield of your farm
- Key capital expenditures
- Key operating cost components, including labor, rent, and utilities